All we have is a voice...

                                                     
           We are cynical, disparaging many times at the motley crowd of protestors assembling at various places for various reasons? What will they achieve? What are they trying to say? Talking to various people at Nala Sopara, I realised one thing. They just wanted to be heard. They wanted to tell their stories. I went through Nala sopara asking people questions about what they thought about certain isssues or just talk to them about their lives.  It was difficult for me at first, because I didn’t know how people would react. I hesitated for a while, but then finally stopped at a local market.
            68-year-old Hariprasad Boha, along with his brother, has been selling vegetables since the last 15 years. Boha is blind. I asked him how he managed his livelihood with growing price. “Beta kama raha hai isliye ghar chal raha hai. Woh BPO main kaam karta hai. Hamare desh main kisano ki ijjat hi nahi hai. Agar hum kaam karna band kare, toh logonko anaaj kaha se milega?” I met a woman who was buying veggies from Hariprasad. Her name was Rashmi and she worked for Marico, which provides consumer and health products.  I asked what her views were on the rising prices. “My family is not so affected with the price rise. We don’t bother so much, because later prices are going to come down anyway. This is a temporary phase. So, we don’t actually incur any problem. And besides I needed some vegetables urgently, so I came here. Otherwise I only shop from super markets who sell at a lower price than the usual market price.”
        There are a lot of temples in Nala Sopara. I met Umesh Agre, a flower vendor who has been in making and selling garlands since last 20 years. Every weekend, he goes to Dadar with his wife to get flowers at a cheap price. “Ganpati ke time pe bahut gardi hoti hai, tabhi meri biwi aur beta mere saath baithke haar banate hai. Mera beta bank main clerk hai. Mera Ratnagiri main ghar hai. Mera 10 saal pehle accident hua tha, toh ek hi pair se chal pata hoon. But kaam karna band nahi kiya.”
        I took a richshaw back to the station. The driver’s name was Ashraf Bhai. I just asked one question and Ashraf bhai started talking. “Main gaadi chalata hoon idhar, Par rehta Mahalaxmi main hoon. 15 saal se chala raha hoon. Mere do Beten (sons) hai. Dono merchant navy main kaam kar rahe hai. Woh accha kama lete hai. Par mujhe mehenat se kamane ki aadat ho gayi hai. Hame bahut customer milte hai din main. But koi do acche sabd nahi bolta. Joh hame respect karta hai, unko leke jaane main hume bahut khushi hoti hai. Joh bura bartav karta hai unko kuch bol bhi nahi sakte. Rozi roti ka sawaal haina beta.” I reached the station. Saying thank you, I got off. “Hume thank you bhi bahut kam log bolte hai. Accha laga aapse baat karke. Agar aap ye side aati rehti hai toh bol dijiye. Hum lene ayenge aapko”.
       I didn’t know that man. I just said a few good words to him and he was ready to help me everytime I went to nala sopara. Who ARE these people? One of us, right? Why do we, then, treat them differently? We all need voices and we all want to be heard. Just go, talk to them. Your problems will seem smaller in front of theirs. 

Comments

Popular Posts